[pianotech] Mirror Piano

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 19:15:51 MDT 2011

*<< . . . . thousands of heirloom pianos were butchered during these years,
and they are still commonly encountered. Because irreparable damage was done
to the integrity of the instrument, mirror pianos are seldom worth more than
a few hundred dollars at best."   *
**

>  . . . . Are we all in agreement that the "irreparable damage" is cosmetic
> only?  >>

Not necessarily.  Often they also "chopped" the toe blocks in order to
install legs more like those on a spinet or console (not attached at the
bottoms to the toe blocks).  Yes, they still keep the piano from tipping
forward (just barely), but they're not as sturdy or stable as the original
construction.  I absolutely hate these "chopped" mirror pianos and consider
them examples of butchery.
--David Nereson, RPT

* *