[pianotech] S&S B

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Oct 8 15:44:00 MDT 2011

Yes, folks,

I know CBS didn't manufacture pianos.  I clipped the description from my
clients email, and figured all you educated folks would instantly understand
what I meant.  I apologize.  As Will noted, that is precisely it.  Not from
the CBS era.  It is the client's opinion (wright or wrong) that pianos of
that era are unpleasant at best.  I tend to agree that S&S pianos from the
50's can be much worse, but as Ed mentioned, I've seen way too many truly
AWFUL actions from between 1960 and 1980-ish to consider picking one up
sight unseen.

In the end, it doesn't really matter a heck of a lot to me.  We evaluate the
piano for what it is and determine what it needs to be great.  That can be
anything from a new action only, to action, pinblock, board, bridges,
finish, trapwork, lyre, etc.  So, I guess my position is that I'd rather
work on any piano from any era so long as the client has a clear
understanding of what we're up against and what it costs to fix that problem
before they commit to buying it.  It's just that it sometimes simplifies
things a bit to hedge a bet against 19(50) - 1980(ish).

William R. Monroe