[pianotech] S&S B

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Oct 8 10:51:22 MDT 2011

Until recently Steinway's build quality has never been much to write home
about. But the worst years came some before CBS purchased the company. That
was the turn-around event for the company. CBS may have screwed with the
finances but they also poured money into the company and set the stage for
the company's comeback.

I started working on pianos in the 1960s so the Steinway pianos built during
the last few years of Steinway family ownership were still new or relatively
new. Their build quality had been going down for years and, in my view, it
reached a low point during the late 60s and early 70s. I spent many hours
with Steinway executives and I worked on literally hundreds of Steinway
pianos from the 70s through the early 80s. There was a strong desire on the
part of management and workers alike to improve the quality of the
instruments. Management was trying a lot of different things; some worked
and some didn't. I didn't work at the factory as Al Guecia did-I worked on
the finished product-so I have no idea how various management decisions
affected the various departments or the individual workers but during my
visits to the factory the improvements in infrastructure were obvious. These
were the result of CBS money and I remain convinced that without CBS money
the both the factory infrastructure and the build quality of Steinway pianos
would have continued to decline and we probably would not have a Steinway
company today. Instead there was a turnaround during the CBS years, a
foundation was laid for the company's recovery and the pianos have been
improving ever since. Their overall build quality is better now than at any
time in its history.

Personally I'd rather work on a piano built during the CBS years than one
built during the decade or two leading up to that time.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com