[pianotech] Mirror Piano

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:39:39 MDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Noah Frere <noahfrere at gmail.com> wrote:

> I told someone yesterday that the cut-off portion of an old Upright, where
> they added the mirror, did not degrade the structure of the piano. I still
> believe that, but I wanted to confirm it with others. She found this online,
> not I don't think to argue against my point, but just as an anecdote:
>
> *"During World War 2, American piano manufacturers ceased production to
> assist in the war effort. Rationing made it impossible to build a piano
> during those years, so piano tuners and rebuilders saw a golden opportunity
> to keep up with the public's demands by introducing the "mirror piano". They
> simply took a large old upright, often a gutted player piano, cut a
> step-shelf along the top, and secured a mirror across the exposed back so
> that the piano had the appearance of being smaller or more modern. These
> "re-styled" pianos became very popular during the war, and unfortunately
> this trend continued for another 30 years. Hundreds of thousands of heirloom
> pianos were butchered during these years, and they are still commonly
> encountered. Because irreparable damage was done to the integrity of the
> instrument, mirror pianos are seldom worth more than a few hundred dollars
> at best." *
>
> Are we all in agreement that the "irreparable damage" is cosmetic only?

Very much so, in fact if you look through the decal catalogues you will find
a decal for the "MirrApiano" a friend who worked for a local dealer recalls
"modifing" old uprights in this fashion. There is no structural harm done to
the piano just the cabinet is cut down in front, creating a shelf in front
of the tuning pins. The theory is the piano looks smaller & more modern,
remembering this was done in the '40's, '50's, & 60's, by the 70's it fell
out of fashion.

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404