[pianotech] "Sizzling" Dampers-Cleaning Them?????

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:03:08 MDT 2011

Hi All,

New customer today older Kohler & Campbell spinet plays & tunes as well as
one would expect except the dampers sizzle as they return to the string.
Those of you that have heard this know what I'm referring to, usually you
find this in barroom or restaurant pianos that have been exposed to smoke a
lot which builds up on the surface of the dampers leaving a hard or stiff
surface.

I have on a few occasions when the dampers were thick enough, peeled a layer
off, exposing new felt underneath which worked fine but that was usually on
uprights that had a thicker damper. The ones on this spinet look pretty thin
to begin with.

The previous tuner had left a note on the back of her card in the piano
saying she was suggesting cleaning them, anybody know how to clean dampers?

Appreciate any suggestions,

Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404