[pianotech] Nasty Screw was Re: Screw removal.

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Oct 5 12:29:47 MDT 2011

Doug thanks for posting that suggestion, and Wim, thanks for letting us
know that it worked for you!

It struck me that using the punch and hammer in the way described, is
akin in its effect to what happens with the air impact driver; the
sudden application of force - almost before the component has time to
think about it and resist! A fanciful notion, I know.

Reminds me of knocking limpets off rocks on the beach as a boy. If you
suddenly strike them with a one-off firm clean blow, the come off
cleanly and immediately. But any kind of a lesser blow or tap first, and
they clamp on tight to the rock and cannot be removed without smashing.
The comparison isn't valid, I know. I am just reminiscing.

Best regards,

David.