[pianotech] Stiff WNG? (was Steinway top)

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:33:43 MDT 2011

Dave,
With Haverhill (home of Mason & Hamlin) in the same territory as the Boston
PTG Chapter, they usually host a  meeting every Fall (we'll be meeting there
again in two weeks, October 18). Bruce Clark et al are quite emphatic that
their hammer shanks are far less flexible than wooden shanks. And they are
very pleased with the results (among other things, far less wobble when the
hammer strikes the string). Yes, they did plenty of testing and comparing in
the process of developing the shanks and other action components. I doubt
the data is "open source", but they're pretty open about discussing their
findings.
Patrick