[pianotech] Stiff WNG? (was Steinway top)

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Oct 3 23:42:18 MDT 2011

The current WN&G parts do not use felt bushings so there is slightly less
compliance in the system. That is, the action saturation point is slightly
lower and the action feels just a bit more "connected" (for lack of a better
term). That is, the hammer's motion is a little more directly connected to
the key's motion. Under most circumstances this would be considered a good
thing. Especially if relatively light hammers are used. Other than that I
can't imagine a WN&G action feeing "stiff."

I'm also curious; what is it that is going to be so difficult to service
down the road? And what is it that is going to need all that servicing?
Maybe I'm missing something but they seem like pretty rugged parts to me.
Bruce Clark made up a two-note model action for my dual mono-chord a couple
of years back and that poor thing has been through a piano action's version
of hell. It's been moved, packed and shipped, banged on by any number of
technicians and other interested parties and generally mistreated by
everyone. Any ordinary action would have fallen apart by now but this thing
still functions like it did the day it arrived all fresh and new. Near as I
can tell these are very rugged actions. Were I putting actions in music
school practice rooms this would be my choice simply from a reliability
standpoint. (I'm curious-are there any CAUT's out there with any experience
with these actions in practice rooms?) I'll concede there may be issues
showing up over time that are not now evident but so far these action parts
have stood up better than any conventional wood action with traditional felt
bushings would have given similar use and abuse.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

del at fandrichpiano.com  <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> - ddfandrich at gmail.com