[pianotech] Cleaning keystick sides

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sun Oct 2 13:32:15 MDT 2011

I notice everyone seems to scrape the sides with some sharp implement.

Whenever I do a cleaning under the keys, I always give the keysticks a good cleaning.  The last time I did this the sides were pretty disgusting.  Since I already had a rag with a 6:1 water to white vinegar solution on it (which I use to clean the keytops), I tried it on the sides.  It took just a bit of back and forth rubbing and the junk was gone!  Very quick, and with little effort.  I don't know if it's quicker than scraping, but it worked quickly for me and I didn't have to break stride on the cleaning process.

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com