[pianotech] Upright price

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Nov 29 11:50:36 MST 2011

One thing you must realize, Noah, is there is a quite a bias on this list
against old uprights. Which is too bad, because even though there are
zillions out there richly deserving of their scorn, there are still many
that make very nice instruments and have beautiful cabinets.

Your job, as the buyer's agent, is to discern what they are looking for and
help them find it for the best price. Their decorating scheme may demand and
pretty old upright. And if you can make a decent playing piano out of it for
less than $500 and they love the cabinet, then they'll have a decent piano
that fits their needs for less than $1k. If it could be done for $10k and
still fits their budget, I wouldn't think twice about giving them the
recommendation, and I have done that very thing with older uprights with
PianoDisc installed. Just be sure to give them full disclosure that they
will never be able to recoup their investment. What they'll have is a very
unique piece: a beautiful antique piano that plays and sounds nice and fits
their needs.

Dean

Dean W May                        (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com           (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802           Give us a LIKE on Facebook! Go to
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/PianoRebuilderscom/137780082943148>
PianoRebuilders.com

  _____