[pianotech] older spinets

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 15:49:01 MST 2011

I am wondering of there is a consensus at all on where one begins to draw
the line at telling a person not to spend any money on a PSO?   I went to a
home Saturday with an old spinet piano, three hammers worn almost to the
wood, not tuned in 30 years, though using a guitar tuner, it only indicated
about -25cents flat.  I was talking with him about the pros and cons in my
own thinking when I noticed the pin block was beginning to separate from the
frame, a modest separation all across the piano.  I strongly suggested he
not spend any money on the piano, as fixing it and getting it to stability
would cost far more than this piano was worth in any market, and with a
little research if he wanted a used piano they could find one much more
functional for less money than what it would cost to repair theirs.  (This
could of course be worse if string broke after so long without tuning.)

In Houston, a thriving market with lots of pianos, and many many inexpensive
Asian "pianos", I have been discouraging spending anything but absolute
minimum on the stuff that obviously is way past its prime, and patch up will
add very little to it as an instrument.  I have found some older instruments
I've begged with some success for folks to get rebuilt, but those are few.
With descriptions I've used, people have, without exception, thanked me for
telling them what I did, but I am as concerned that people not waste their
good money as I am in making it for myself (leaving me not in the "top
earner's" category).

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Les bartlett