[pianotech] Stretching the Ivory

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Nov 24 13:47:52 MST 2011

?I've been reading the article about banned import materials in this month's Journal and something occurred to me half way through.  Particularly because at the moment I happened to be standing next to an Obscurity & Sons junk piano with ridiculously thin ivories which I am about to chop up and dump.  One of the ivory substitutes that has been around for a while is bone.  It feels similar to ivory but it turns gray over time and it is really thick.  From what I understand this is due to a lack of strength compared to ivory.  Then it occurred to me- what about "ivory veneer"?  In other words taking thin slices of pre-ban or used ivory and laminating it onto thin slices of bone.  Assuming this is feasible the key tops would be genuine ivory, not as thick or have the graying problems as plain bone, and could stretch the remaining reserves much further.  It would also make it feasible to salvage some of the better looking original ivory from junk pianos.

Has anyone attempted to try this?  I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing but it seams entirely possible.  Why not?

Rob Goodale, RPT
KLas Vegas, NV