[pianotech] nomenclature

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Nov 17 13:57:07 MST 2011

zactly :>) If I say "thingy" it makes me look/sound like an idiot.  My
favorite auto mechanic back in Seattle always explained things in proper
nomenclature.  Maybe because I know a thing or two about cars, but he
would explain why the "thingy" needed to work properly with the
thingamajig for the car to go... in an intelligent way!  I heard him
explain to little old ladies or gents, or whomever, in proper terminology
with some explanation of what that part was and why it wasn't working.
Sometimes, he took more time to tell them about the thingy, but always
used the part's name...  maybe that's why I went to him for 20 years! We
became great friends over the years!  He had a piano too, and so the tide
turned with him, and he would get it.  Nice to regulate a piano for a
timing belt replacement, or help me get a good replacement car for a great
deal

I think explaining in real words boosts the customer's intelligence. Never
talk "down" to anybody, but bring them "up" to your level!!  That's always
been my norm.  How else can they explain the next time what might be
happening.  The "sticky key" got to be much easier to diagnose over the
phone the next time they called!!

Being correct, sounding like you know what you're doing, explaining parts
and their functions, will save you all time in the future, and it makes
the customer more confident when they call you!

Don't get all into proper measurements and all.  If you do, then the
glazed eyes will appear!! :>)

Good on you!

Paul