[pianotech] Hammer Molding Leads, Rib Alterations & Belly Rail/Rib Wedge

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Nov 15 23:11:20 MST 2011

I have a new customer over the past several months with a 6'10" Blüthner
Model 4 (2002), purchased new with the understanding that work had been done
to maximize tone & touch.  After a few years of disappointment and
developing arm pain, this customer approached me.

Each visit, I have discovered something unusual about this piano as I have
worked to solve the customer's complaints.  The first thing I found was that
lead had been placed in all the hammer moldings from A0 through G5.  This
made the touchweight too high, and the piano played like a Mack truck.
Although we (I) figured someone did this in an attempt to improve tone
(higher strikeweight?), it just wasn't working.  Removing the leads returned
the action to its presumed designed touchweight (50-47g) and proper
functioning, after re-pinning a few tight hammer centers.  Customer very
happy with action function.  Repetition (what a novel concept).  Piano plays
beautifully, and I assume as originally designed.

Now, while servicing the Life Saver system, I saw that the ends of all ribs
had been "modified" (chiseled?) near the rim.  I also discovered a wedge
made of pinblock material under a rib at the belly rail towards the bass.
Isn't this inhibiting soundboard movement?  Should I remove it?

Pix attached.

What is all this about?  Are all these things attempts to improve tone,
sustain, or what?  On a new piano of this quality/pedigree, these
modifications baffle me.  Also, not fully/specifically disclosed to
customer.

Thanks for any input.  Trying to understand what some other tech(s) might
have been after here.  Possibly a valid (but failed?) attempt at improving
an established piano design?  Am I missing something here?

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC
(202) 246-3136 Cell/Text
paul at pmpiano.com