[pianotech] shift shim

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Nov 14 16:04:48 MST 2011

First I’d want to know why there is a ½” gap in there.

With new leather pads of appropriate thickness on backs of the pedals and
the end of the shift lever, new under-pedal felt, etc.—you did replace all
that stuff, didn’t you?—if there is still that much of a gap I’d be looking
for a reason. The typical shift lever has a ratio of approximately 4.5:1.
That means if the action (keyframe) is shifted 0.1” or so to the right the
end of the shift lever under the pedal rod will be off by 0.45”. Or, if the
keyframe shift block (clutch?) is worn by that much the shift lever under
the pedal rod will also be off by 0.45”.

Before you simply start adding leather spacers to the long end of the shift
lever you might want to be sure there is enough room between the top of the
lever and the bottom of the keybed. I’ve come across more than a few pianos
with shift levers knocking against the bottom of the keybed because some
tooner just added spacers of some kind to the end of the shift lever when
that wasn’t the problem.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com —
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com