[pianotech] Waltham, was Pic Puzzler

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 12 09:00:55 MST 2011

On 11/11/2011 9:29 PM, David Skolnik wrote:

> Mike -
> How tall is that piano? Work looks excellent. One question. Was that the
> original hammer line in the tenor? I expected to see the first few
> hammers (#29,30, 31, etc.) with a graduated strike point starting closer
> to the nut (top termination) than the remainder of the treble, although,
> in the picture at least, the shanks look like they couldn't be any
> longer.

Straight strike lines are the norm for these old pianos, in my
experience. I've presumed the swooped up low tenor strike line in more
recent verticals was an attempt to get the hammers clear of the dampers
at the crossover, dampers being placed in the way courtesy of the high
overstrung angle necessary to make the bass strings long enough to fit
the advertising brochure.

Ron N