[pianotech] help please

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 11 09:26:24 MST 2011

I know of a grand piano that had the C/A treatment done.
It didn't work, so the person decided to have the pin block replaced.
On removing the old pin block, they discovered that the C/A had not penetrated to any extent, into the pin block. I just heard about this last week.
It was not a piano that I had worked on.
I had done a treatment on a same brand grand, and when I went back a year later, some were still not holding, so I applied more C/A, and did the tuning.
There was no extra charge for the additional application.
I have not heard back, so I am assuming that it is now ok. Mind you, I never heard back the first time, and wouldn't have known, but for the fact I was tuning again.
i always tell people to call me, if it doesn't seem to be working. Since they don't call, I am assuming that the 'fix' worked.
When in doubt, I suppose, removal of a tuning pin to check for penetration, might be a good idea.
Also it might be preferable to do the application of the C/A, when the house is at its driest, in January or February.
Doing it in the height of Summer, might not work due to the higher moisture content of the block.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.