[pianotech] Ballistol Lube

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 22:53:45 MST 2011

Doug:
I've seen the effect that oil has on wood- it softens it and makes it weak.  I'd be interested to know if Ballistol does the same thing as oil.  Otherwise, it sounds good.  I've seen too many actions that somebody sprayed some oily who-knows-what on it, and it's still sluggish and the wood is saturated with it.  That wood is turned into mush.  Same for bridges.  There was this guy here who used to put oil everywhere, especially on bridges and bridge pins.  It would get on the hammers, and all that.  He ruined thousands of pianos.  But that's another story.  I'd need to know more about the effect of Ballistol before I'd go spraying it everywhere.  Back in the day, WD-40 was the soup de jour, and now we see the result of spraying it on everything.
Just being cautious...
Paul McCloud
San Diego