[pianotech] Business Definition

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Thu Nov 10 18:38:02 MST 2011

I had a tough time finding the right page, but I found it.  For those people who could not find it, I enclose here a copy.    ---Tom Gorley

Action Line: Independent contractors may need city's business license

By Dennis Rockstroh
drockstroh at mercurynews.com
Updated: 11/09/2011 10:07:47 PM PST

Q Hello, there. I saw your column in this morning's paper, and would like your opinion on a problem that I am having with the City of Concord, specifically the Business License office.
I live in the city of Concord and am employed full time as a high school music instructor in the public schools of Concord.
In addition, I make extra income from judging music festivals, parades, and from occasionally acting as a guest conductor.
In these instances, I am treated as an independent contractor, and my earnings are reported using IRS form 1099.
Because of this, Concord has decided that I am running a business out of my home, and is after me to purchase a city of Concord business license, dating back to 2008, to the tune of over $300.
They are saying that if I pay this extortion they will not come after me for additional penalties.
I have checked with music teachers in my position nationwide, and my city is the only one trying this.
Am I legally required to have a business license even though I don't use any Concord infrastructure or partake in any of these moneymaking activities in Concord?
As a homeowner, I already pay property taxes, and I pay the city sales tax.
They want me to pay business taxes on my extra income, solely because I have the misfortune to live in Concord.
Steven Accatino
Concord

Alas, Steven, you are going to have to pay for the business license.

I checked with the city, and they confirm that you need a business license from the city because you are an independent contractor.
You will also find this information on the city's website atwww.ci.concord.ca.us/business/bizlicense. The city says, "A business license is required to conduct business in the City of Concord. This includes commercial landlords, residential landlords (renting four or more units), retail outlets, wholesalers, manufacturers and their representatives, service companies, self-employed professionals, independent contractors and home businesses."
I am sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, Steven, because, when you get to know me, you will know how I love good news.
Contact Action Line atactionline at mercurynews.com, 408-920-5796, www.facebook.com/BayAreaNewsGroup.ActionLine orhttp://twitter.com/Action_Line.