[pianotech] vehicle lease

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 08:52:38 MST 2011

Not quite.  I write off my mortgage interest but does that mean it lowers my
bottom line?  I'd be paying that anyway in some form.  Paper losses are just
that, paper losses.  If I lower my tax liability I may actually end up with
more money in my pocket where it counts.

Lease or buy choices take into consideration many factors including things
like convenience, satisfaction in what you drive, maintenance costs and time
requirements, number of miles you actually drive, total income versus cost
etc.  There's no simple out of the box answer to the question of lease or
buy.    You have to analyze the monetary as well as the non monetary
factors.  I could buy a $1500 car but the uncertainty of repairs and
reliability, the actual cost and time involved in maintenance, rental cars
while it's in the shop, safety issues, etc. don't make it worthwhile for me
personally but I'm often working 6 days a week and log 15000 miles a year.
I leased my second car last year (Subaru) with virtually no money down
(small deposit, taxes and a month's payment, did this while turning in my
old lease which was slightly over mileage but which they waived so I would
lease another car from them.  Purchased a maintenance agreement which adds
about $15 per month to the lease but all maintenance for three years is paid
for and the total paid out is less than the actual cost of the mx assuming
you get it all done, which I do.  All costs associated with the lease
including insurance are deductible to the extent that the car is used for
business (over 90% in my case since we have another car that we use for non
business stuff).  At the end of three years I turn it in for something else.
My income supports that expense but it may not for everyone.  You have to
analyze it for yourself is my point.     It won't make sense for everybody
but it will for some.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com