[pianotech] Warped Keybed

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 27 21:43:52 MDT 2011

Good Evening: I went out to look at a Mason and Hamlin console  with a recurrring problem. The customer's complaint was that the piano would not stay regulated. Another local technician had been out last year and regulated it, but it went out of adjustment by the middle of the winter. I found that the key dip in the middle of the piano was about half of normal, and the only keys that had normal dip were those at the end. Upon examining the keybed, I found that it had warped downward, to the extent that there is now a 5/16" gap between the keyframe and the keybed. The cure that came to mind for me was to install some metal braces lengthwise that would straighten the keybed while applying heat. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so,  did you find a solution?
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983