[pianotech] Removing Strings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu May 12 15:25:23 MDT 2011

At 07:08 -0700 12/05/2011, David Love wrote:

>You don't need a becket breaker.  After taking down the tension I
>often use an awl or something similar to pry out the becket and then
>pull the string over the pin with a string hook.

That's roughly the way I do it too.  A full turn on the pin opens out
the coil and makes it easy to get the awl in.  You can lever out the
becket by pivoting the awl at the top of the pin and then, with a bit
of practice get the coil off all in one motion.  I can't imagine a
becket breaker (whatever that is!) could be any faster.

JD