[pianotech] 1922 M or new MH?

Glenn rockymtn at skybeam.com
Sun May 8 12:54:53 MDT 2011

Hi All.

My own personal piano is a gorgeous 1922 Steinway M.  The M is well
respected but we all know it's an entry level grand (I'm not even going to
talk about the S because it's not in the same class).  If it were an O or L
there's no way I'd consider selling it.  There is a local dealer/rebuilder
that I've known for many years.   For just a little over what I'd sell my M
for, I can get a new Mason Hamlin or a new Haesssler.    I liked both of
them and they're around 6 feet which is what I want.  There's also a store
that's closing that has a rebuilt O that I was considering but it would be
roughly 50% higher than the cost of the MH.  Also, does anyone have any
strong opinions on the new composite action in some MH models (it wasn't in
the model I was considering though)?  BTW, one of the things that prompted
me to change pianos is that I'm considering moving from Colorado (dry) to
the Charlotte, NC area (wet).  I know it's much worse on pianos to go from
wet to dry climates but a change is a change.

Thanks guys,  Glenn.