[pianotech] harpsichord assembly

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Mon May 2 13:13:48 MDT 2011

Hi Larry,

Wow, déjà vu, of a sort.

I’m considering an opportunity to do some major repairs on a harpsichord
that was built from a kit.  The owner said that he would, under normal
circumstances, do his own repairs but he has so many other commitments that
he just doesn’t have the time.  The instrument in question is a single
manual harpsichord that had the unfortunate luck of sitting under a broken
water pipe in the ceiling!  Water filled the inside of the instrument but
was quickly removed.  Since then, several strings have broken and a number
of keys will not work.

I have absolutely no experience with harpsichords but my RPT mentor does.
Unfortunately, he is overwhelmed with restorations, including a harpsichord
that has been waiting for quite some time.  He suggested that I take on the
job but I don’t have any idea where to start.

Do you have any ideas that might help?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Rhea

Rhea Piano Service