[pianotech] Cosmetic aspects of filed hammers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Mar 12 18:24:47 MST 2011

Yesterday I tried hammer filing using a small Dremel-type tool for the
first time. Hitherto, I've always used home-made sanding paddles.

I've been meaning to ask for a while,  what others do, if anything, to
improve the appearance cosmetically when the top surface of the hammers
is very grubby. I found yesterday that the dremel tool was quite good
for that.

I am attaching two pairs of before-and-after pics. One from hand filing,
and yesterday's with the little drill.  The angle of the photos makes it
look as if all trace of grooves was removed, but actually that's not the
case. Plus, the photos seem to exaggerate small unevenesses!

I have read in the past, of using dressmakers' chalk to brighten grubby
hammer topsides, but that seems a laborious process and somehow slightly
distasteful.

Best regards,

David Boyce