[pianotech] New Forum

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 01:02:01 MDT 2011

At 21:13 -0400 29/06/2011, Ron Berry wrote:

>Apostrophe issue
>
>The mangling of apostrophes in Don Mannino's post was not just a
>Higher Logic issue. It is an HTML issue.

Ron, this is nothing to do with HTML, it is a question of character
sets. I won't bore the list with too many technical details but from
tests I did several weeks ago it appears that the online site is
internally based on Unicode UTF-8 encoding.  If you write
non-US-ASCII characters in the online composition window then people
who read only within the forum site will see them properly displayed,
but when those messages are sent out via email the UTF is sent with
"raw bytes" and no encoding.  Incoming postings from email are
treated as though they had no content-type header and so the raw
bytes are further "encoded" from garbage into double garbage and so
on until a single 8-bit character can grow to a great long string of
garbage characters.

Every email that you send has a Content-Type header in which the
character set used is declared.  You will see this if you have a
mailer that allows you to view the source of the message and the
(usually) hidden headers.  This message is sent as UTF-8 from Eudora
on the Mac.

When I include characters such as °, ’, £, €, —, which are
not in the US-ASCII character set, my mailer will encode these
characters in a character set that includes all these characters, and
in 2011 that ought to be Unicode's UTF-8 transformation.  This
transformation will use two bytes to encode the first 4 and three
bytes to encode the m-dash.

I have a lot of experience dealing with this question since I have
worked with Chinese and the Internet since 1992 and also studies the
question in relation to Eudora on the Mac, the mailer I have always
used.
My article at <http://bd8.com/eudora/multilingual/> explains a little
of how UTF-8 encoding works.

These questions ought to be second nature to anybody who is writing
forum or list software.  The fact that they have completely screwed
up on this basic issue is evidence enough that the $57, $75, ... who
knows what final rip-off, has been money thrown down the drain.

I am copying this message to Laura Olsen, who I see appears from my
archive NEVER in the past ten years to have participated in the
original Pianotech list!

I would also remind list members that the Pianotech group I set up on
Google some weeks ago is still available for use and that it cost
NOTHING to set up, works perfectly and requires no maintenance:

<http://groups.google.com/group/pianotech.php/>

JD