[pianotech] Petrof grands-Hammer opinions

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 15:22:31 MDT 2011

Hi Paul
   I like Ronsen hammers but we don't make hammers for every application, but then...nobody does and that's ok with me. We have our definite tonal niche.

  It will come as a surprise to some that In the process of developing the new Weickert felt hammer Ray & I collaborated not only with Jack Brand the felt maker at Wurzen but also with Rick Baldassin and Lloyd Meyer at Renner USA.  But thru our efforts together we  exchanged some development info which was feedback we gave to Jack. We both helped develop a revolutionary product in record time and got a better product in the process. I know..... what a shock 2 competitors helping each other out. aye? I also made a good friend in Rick

 In teh end what we agreed on was that the " Renner & Ronsen  have complimentary products".  Ricks words. Felt good to me.
 The Ronsen became more of a hybrid hammer and our respective tonal pendulums swung in each others direction.  The Renner needing less needling than previously and the Ronsen utilizing small amounts of needling to open up. The tone of both is a dark clear sound.
   Occasionally I use the Renner Weickerts/Blue points for specific applications or by request.

  The tone and feedback on the Ronsen Product is stupendous and I hear that the Renner product has as many fans. Such a great deal for technicians!!
  Therefore I still say, Hammer sampling is a smart maneuver when determining which brand and version of hammer to choose.

  Rule of thumb ...the stiffer the soundboard the stiffer the hammer required. Or sometimes tonal or voicing preference.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397
209-985-0990