[pianotech] Petrof grands

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 12:27:36 MDT 2011

Hey Paul
  I like these pianos tonally but the action guys ...what were they thinking?  Here is the short version.
  Nice action ratio. Its 5 or 5.3 to 1. Then they shot themselves in the foot by installing hammers that weigh over 1o grams in the bass and on into the trebles. SO they over powered the action ratio with hammer weight. Then added lots of lead and maybe a wippen assist spring and viola ....an action that's heavy aaaaand there's no up-weight either.
 Solution :....remove hammer weight or install new lighter  hammers. Then with the hammers lifted out of the way.... weaken wippen springs till the weight of the wippen is barely supported, Or just starting to show that it wants to rise.....then re-weight keys with springs engaged.
 Now it works

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397