[pianotech] Really, really irritated with the New forum system

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jun 29 11:17:41 MDT 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 7:14 AM, John Formsma wrote:

> As long as we're adding names ... add mine. Although I've done as much griping and complaining as I want to on the User Help [sic] Forum. All to no avail. It's still the same piece of junk it was from the beginning.

Well, kids, what we feared has happened. Here'e a post I sent on March 8, 2011:

"Alan, Andy, and all digital servants and toilers----I have been a regular reader and poster on this list for eight or nine years. It has given me a tremendous amount of value in every possible realm. Part of its tremendous value has been the ease with which we can all communicate, in a realm that has become second nature, and in our daily flow, for most if not all of us---email.

Dealing with email, for us, is like fish dealing with the ocean---it's become native; we swim in it; we breathe it. This ease is one of the huge reasons that busy, fulfilled, engaged, committed humans like me have spent time and energy and love posting and giving to this community---it feels natural, and righteous, and organic. It's easy AND productive. I've spoken to many of this list's main contributors, and not one of them was consulted about this change. That's not right; it completely sells out the mission and context of this list: transparency, honesty, respect---RELATIONSHIP. Where's
the relationship reflected in this change? I didn't know about it, and I've read this list thoroughly basically every single day for years.

For me, that's a tremendous breach of trust. I'm feeling hurt by what feels like a completely arbitrary decision. Thinking about it, it's extraordinary---creepy, even---that the dialog that's taking place after the fact, now, and that has deeply negative undertones and contains many apparent red flags didn't take place BEFORE  the decision, and the change, was made. That feels incredibly disrespectful when you're dealing with people that have given literally hundreds of hours of their own precious down time to deepen and invigorate this wonderful community we have.

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't ruin this atmosphere we have worked so long and hard to achieve. Don't sabotage this ethereal phenomenon, this magical, powerful tool for community.

Please don't f**k this up. Keep it simple, and ask the real owners, the real stakeholders---us---what WE want to do.

Appreciate your true attention to this; I believe our fragile virtual community is threatened. If I'm being Jurassic, or a Luddite, or short-sighted, or a hypocrite, I fully trust that my colleagues will set me straight."

David Andersen
Mar Vista (Los Angeles) CA
310-403-4559

Then this yesterday from my pal Will Truitt (Encore Pianos:)
"There are some interesting statistics regarding the pattern of usage:  I went into the Archives (yes, they do still exist, somewhere….) and did a count on usage for each month,

January 2011 – 1872
February 2011 – 1480
March 2011 – 1139
April 2011 – 345
May 2011 – 235

As you can see, once the new system was implemented, visits fell off a cliff, from March to April a 70% drop in usage, and a further drop still in May.  May is a mere 12.5% of the numbers in January.  I think March’s figures are artificially high because so many people were bitching or asking how to use it (You certainly couldn’t find out how on the web site).  Is it fair to say that a lot of people said to themselves, if it is going to be this much of a pain, I don’t want to bother?

I am truly sad that a real live community that existed is dying. What a drag. Leaders, here's the lesson: you let fear, speculation, and assumption rule, rather than courage, information, and clarity of communication. NONE of the true principals/stakeholders of this---the daily contributors---were
given the respect of being in the decision-making loop, or any loop at all. What a waste of precious trust and collegiality.

It's almost like this list was resented by someone---although I'm the furthest thing from a paranoid conspiracy guy.

Andy, Phil, Alan, et al: don't shut this server down. Let this simple email list live again. Failure is OK; I fail many times every day; it usually leads to success later, because I learn from my failures. LEARN FROM THIS.

Respectfully,

David Andersen
www.davidandersenpianos.com
310-403-4559c