[pianotech] Touchweight: Re: half punching & figuring FW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 16:33:58 MDT 2011

You can do it by spread sheet but the first order of business is figuring out the action ratio.  You sample a cut punching or veneer strip, new capstan position or new knuckle hanging, or whatever to determine what your new ratio is.  Do that by displacement as I showed.  Once you have that you use the formula

FW = (R*SW)-BW + (WW*KR)

You have the R, SW, BW (your target), WW and KR

Once you verify the action ratio you can use your spreadsheet to determine all other inputs.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com