[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 19:28:45 MDT 2011

They certainly will want to bow up if not restrained.  I came to tune a Steinway where the nose bolt had not been tightened.  I happened to notice and when I did tighten it the plate pulled down some and the pitch went sharp.  How much they flex when properly restrained I don’t know but it doesn’t seem like much.  Were the plate to flex upward when you add tension then  I would guess that the bearing changes anticipated with the calculated deflection characteristics of the soundboard would not hold.  On the boards that I’ve built, they seem to.  In addition, you would expect to see some change in the string heights, but you don’t.  At least, if there’s any flexing of the plate up and down, it seems to be negligible.

At any rate, to the question on which this supposition was made, I think it’s safe to say that the issue was soundboard rise and negative crown to begin with.    That was verified by the change in measured crown in certain sections of the piano accompanied by similar changes with respect to the distance between the bridge and struts.  The relationship seemed to be 1:1 according to my low tech measuring device.   That suggests little if any contribution of plate flexing.   On the other hand, when you add 40,000 lbs to a structure like that something is probably moving somewhere.

Occam’s Razor, the best answer is usually the simplest one.

Didn’t really mean to drive the discussion onto this tangent.  The main point  of the exercise was to look at the map of a soundboard that needs to be changed.  The more important questions to ask are: What  would be the minimum readings required in order to declare the board usable?  With those minimum requirements what kinds of compromises would you have to make?  How much downbearing is required and how much soundboard deflection do you need to provide adequate amounts of potential energy to the system.  Which input might you have to change to get the system back in balance and produce an acceptable tone if two of the components are out of balance?   What can you expect in terms of tone production as compared with the piano in its original condition.  Those are the questions that one should be asking  before you restring over a compromised but, perhaps, usable soundboard—at least, in my humble opinion

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com