[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 00:04:54 MDT 2011

Well, in this particular case the piano had been assessed by someone who
plucked a string at G5 and when it sustained for 8+ seconds they declared
the board good, though they thought it might need to be restrung.  It
finally made its way to my shop where I had to be the bearer of bad news.
Since the board had been given the "ok" it required a few extra
measurements, analysis and explanations to make the case.  All good, the
board's out of the piano now, no going back.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Yes, In this case one look at the right rib with the string, and one
bearing measurement at that point in the scale, would write the ticket.
More measurements are desirable to round out the picture, but dead is dead.
Ron N