[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 22:49:26 MDT 2011

All true.  I posted it as a bit of an exercise in the process I usually go
through when analyzing whether a board needs to be changed (better than
tapping or plucking or whistling).  This was a bit of an extreme example
where it was fairly clear early on but I thought I'd post it anyway.  Often
the data is more borderline than this.

You're right, there isn't much point in measuring negative crown although I
can imagine a situation in which someone set the downbearing excessively
high by mistake (or ignorance) pushing the board negative when it might well
have held up under a normal load.  Not sure I've ever encountered that so I
can't really say what happens once the board gets pushed through.  Does it
spring back when you take the load off and will it respond normally when you
put a normal load back on it?  I couldn't say.  In this case with negative
bearing and negative crown there wasn't really anywhere to go.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com