[pianotech] Bleaching Ivories

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 10:56:54 MDT 2011

At 07:04 -0400 20/06/2011, Richard Ucci wrote:

>I have used peroxide gel and uv lamp on heads with good results. My
>question is, will the heads and tails loosen or curl using gel and
>sunshine .

In my experience almost always, especially the heads in the middle of
the piano where the ivory has lost its grip through use.  The
important thing is not to let the ivory take up too much moisture, so
if you want to be safe, stick to the UV and use several successive
thin applications of the peroxide cream or liquid.

I let them come loose if they want to, because the ones that do come
loose really need regluing anyway -- but it's a lot of work, and if
you can get away without it...

JD