[pianotech] Bass dampers

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Jun 14 09:32:26 MDT 2011

The blocks have moderately more mass (which is important, especially in bass
dampers) but require sometimes extensive wire bending. Whether this is a
problem or not depends on your skill and experience. Factory workers do the
job in a couple of minutes (at most); I've known technicians to take a
couple of hours and still not do as good a job. The dowels (barrels) are-by
far-easier to install and regulate but have very little mass. Usually when I
hear from technicians having problems with ringing dampers in the bass
section it is with a damper system using wood damper barrels.

The best of both worlds are the brass damper barrels offered by several
European piano parts suppliers. I've been encouraging PianoTek to stock them
for us but don't know if they have them as yet.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com