[pianotech] Hermann Mayr

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Tue Jun 7 22:54:04 MDT 2011

Greetings,

I have an appointment to look at a newly gifted, well-used and ignored upright that says Hermann Mayr on the front and a serial number of 644096.  In the PPA it only has a single line that says, "St. Petersburg, Russia, 1870."  They say they have a sticker or other reference inside the piano that showed it came from Denmark, and they swear up and down that the piano doesn't look older than 30 years. The say the cabinet is beautiful. I had them double check the spelling to make sure it wasn't some stenciled PSO.

Did this name get recycled somewhere else in the world?  I can't find any other cross-reference for that name. They want to get an estimate to fix it up, but I wanted to double check to make sure what I'm getting into. If it truly from 1870 and has been refinished, the inside could potentially be quite atrocious.

Thanks!

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com