[pianotech] Suggestions for sticking dampers

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 5 04:30:21 MDT 2011

Marty
I would second Barbara Richmond's suggestion. However I would go a step further.
First of all,are you 100% certain the friction is in the damper guide rail bushings. Make sure that the problem is not in the underlever pinning. But if it is in the guide rail bushings, I would shoot for stabilizing the felt.
Use the old and true method of treating stubborn center pin bushings in the action. Mix 50% water/50% denatured alcohol and with an eye-dropper or hypo-oilier, putting several drops in the damper guide bushing. Initially the solution will swell the bushing, but hours later the bushing will return to it's original size. The difference is that the felt will be in a more stabilized condition.
Once treated with the solution, I would then follow up with the Protek Prolube and you'll have a very long lasting repair.
Tom Servinsky