[pianotech] Hearing aids for piano technicians?

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 14:40:24 MST 2011

My wife recently had her hearing tested; I recommended the man to others in our PTG chapter (via e-mail), saying that the test was free and quick, and that we should all have our hearing checked periodically.

Our chapter president replied to my e-mail. I think his comments are worthy of publishing here on the list. (He gave me permission.)
Wally,

Don't be mislead into thinking that this guy is the person to patronize because his exam is free and short.  There are hundreds of hearing aid people out there who offer the same service. However, choosing the right hearing aid is crucial for us and not everyone is a dealer for the good hearing aids.  (not everyone is a Yamaha dealer)  There are lots of cheap useless aids that are not good for us. Often cheapest is NOT the best. The design and capabilities of the device are very important such as frequency limit, comfort and appearance. There can also be a "feedback" problem that occurs when tuning that can be very disconcerting. Mine has two programs...one for tuning and one for everyday listening. Mine also has a volume control and an on/off switch which is great for selective hearing when Sheila is in the house.

Just as a baseball team would not hire an umpire who wears glasses, people will be reluctant to hire a tuner who wears a hearing aid.  Never once has a customer of mine made any comment or indicated any recognition of my hearing aid. If the subject comes up I courageously show the customer my aids and explain that I DON'T need them for tuning (which is the truth) but rather to hear other extraneous noises coming from pedals and/or the action. Don't forget that Florida has a rehab program that will provide hearing aids for you at no cost. Call me if you have any questions about this.

Howard

A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
5020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://aftune.angelfire.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-FINE-TUNE-PIANO-TUNING-REPAIRS/129845010366185