[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings?

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:30:24 MST 2011

Hello again,
I have used the drilling method on a couple pianos with success. One
was my own very old upright piano that I first treated by trying to
wick the CA through the bushing. It did not get to the pinblock but
sealed the bushing to the plate and pin and would not take more CA. So
I figured if I drilled a very small hole on the top of the bushing all
the way down into the pin block, it should do the job better without
compromising the friction of the pin in the block much- since the
pressure is mostly on the lower side of the pin. I used a number 80
drill in a Dremel with a small accessory Jacobs chuck that extended
the reach a little so the motor did not get in the way. I still had to
angle the hole a bit to avoid the string coil. The drill angled a bit
toward the pin and I stopped when I felt contact to the harder pin.
This was about 3/4 inch in.  I then used an 18 or 20 gauge needle on a
3 cc syringe to deliver the CA deep into the block  It worked great. I
will continue to use this method for most uprights as it is a lot less
messy, does not require tipping the piano,  and is less likely to run
down onto the string felt too. For what it's worth- I just ordered a
finger drill from Garrett Wade that is an Archamedes drill that has a
quick action spiral shaft to spin the drill as you push it down. It is
made for very small drill bits and has a small diameter at the chuck
so it  will interfere less than the Dremel with the tuning pin. I am
anxiously awaiting delivery to try it.

I did break a few bits and had to leave them embedded in the block. It
didn't cause any problem.  The bits are quite cheap. I bought an
envelope with about 10 bits at a good local hardware store. They are
under a dollar each.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY 11971