[pianotech] Tuning Hammer Technique

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 11:00:24 MST 2011

Attached is a revision of the posting I made a week or so ago about tuning
hammer technique.  I would prefer that those who chose to keep the original
posting use this version instead.  I have corrected some misstatements in
the original that led to some confusion and sadly tended to obscure the
goal.  I originally wrote this up as notes for a presentation that came
about as a consequence of coaching some beginning and intermediate tuners
and found that this particular technique was not something that people were
aware of.  It does not represent the entire range of techniques used to tune
a piano or even a complete explanation of the physical events that occur in
the process.  Clearly there are many methods and preferences used by
different people and a variety of methods used by individuals during the
course of tuning a single piano.  This is just one technique but an
important one, I feel.  I don't really wish to rehash the discussion at all
but if you have constructive comments or questions and want to post them to
me off list I'm open to hearing them.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com