[pianotech] Bad day in Truman

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Feb 11 14:27:39 MST 2011

> Might be that the glue joints on the hammers were starved, and somebody
> had to reglue them, forgetting to keep them in line as they dried. I've
> done a lot of these Baldwins with starved glue joints.
Were those the ones where the hammer tails were shaved on either side
to a diagonal shape, so they could be twitched straight by the people
installing them, instead of being really fitted? So they don't have
enough contact surface in there, and they could sag before the glue set
up unless they were carefully watched. (On piece work? -- I theorize --
who would have time to do that?)

Susan