[pianotech] Emailing: steinway upright

Dale Probst dale at wardprobst.com
Sun Feb 6 14:43:16 MST 2011

Chuck,

I assume you are asking what your options are? I haven't heard much talk on
damper scaling but have been doing what I can to improve damping through the
years. Usually I work toward making the damping as consistent as I can from
note to note and section to section. The bass/tenor break is the hardest
because of the confluence of strings, hammers and damper heads. The
configuration in the image appears to be at the tenor/treble break and
probably will work okay. I'll be teaching a class on dampers in KC and will
cover damper scaling. Dampers are fun!
DP
Dale Probst RPT
Registered Piano Technician