[pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q & ARoundtable)

Kurt Baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:37:07 MST 2011

Tom:

Your points about light weight (as of value apart from any stiffness
attributes) and easily interchangeable heads are valid. Not understanding
the engineering behind it, I assume the CF tube alone must make
some significant stiffness gain, and how much is then lost due to the
threaded joint is clearly a question wanting for data, not opinion, mine or
anyone else's.

For some, the combined convenience and economy of being able to
use their current head/tip collection might outweigh any loss in stiffness
over a integrated type head like the Fujan.

I see both your CF hammer (with it's standard interchangeable heads
and rubberized grip) and the CF Faulk hammer (basically a CF-enhanced
version of the same excellent tool he has been making for years) to be
different enough in practical and preference-based design features as to
occupy their own sub-niches in a niche market.

I am curious how Steve Fujan feels about the likes of:

 (
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBON-FIBER-PIANO-TUNING-HAMMER-LEVER-SAVE-50-/220731445721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33649e91d9#ht_1599wt_1026)

And:  http://www.tuningpindriver.com/

Isn't there a case for patent infringement here?

-kurt