[pianotech] Backcheck height: how high is too high?

Kurt Baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:50:53 MST 2011

So if anyone has installed a set of WNG backchecks (when using their
jig system at least), you know how easy it is to get the hammers to
check literally as high as you want.

This raises the question: what *is* the ideal checking height? What
happens when it get too high, and how high is that?

I have heard "as high as possible without binding" as often as I have
heard 5/8", so that make me wonder if 5/8" is actually ideal, or
somewhat arbitrary.

-kurt