[pianotech] Journal article

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 12:09:25 MST 2011

I am also subject to cracked/split fingertips during the winter (not
today though - 82% RH in my house - I've never seen it that high -
we've had an unusually large amount of rain lately here in Tampa). I
won't use hand lotion because, like Ron, I just can't stand having
gooey hands. Tape works well for me, but I also add a little patch of
paper towel with some lotion on it - rather like an el-cheapo home-
made bandaid. But I don't like having tape on my hands during the day.
Also, I fear someone freaking out if I did have my fingers all taped
up - they might wonder if I was fondling their piano keys with fungus-
among-us fingers. My other problem with tape is that I can't put my
gloves on with tape on my fingers (motorcycle gloves).

I recently tried a new (?) product called "Skin Crack Care" by Nexcare
First Aid. Found it at Wallgreen's. It is a tiny little bottle of
clear liquid with a brush applicator attached to the cap - much like a
nail polish bottle. It seems it is some sort of CA glue with oils and
other stuff in it. Smells good, and dries in a minute after
application - you just swab some on the crack. It doesn't work as well
as a good piece of tape with some lotion on it, but WAY better than
nothing at all. And I have no goo and no tape. It's quite invisible.

So my practice now is tape at home and at night and the liquid Nexcare
during the day when I have appointments.

Terry Farrell