[pianotech] Thanks and further comments

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 12:25:45 MST 2011

* Pitch raising (and lowering) with RCT is extraordinarily accurate
     and fast.
   * Because it's software, RCT can be easily revised, allowing
     constant innovation. The latest version can be downloaded from the
     Internet.
   * RCT creates super-accurate tunings from low bass to high treble
     because six notes are sampled (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 and A6) at as
     many as four partials three times each for a total of 63 sampled
     partials. All partials are automatically measured and recorded to
     a one-hundredth of a cent!
   * RCT creates aural-quality tunings because it directly matches
     sampled partials - exactly what aural tuners do every day.
   * Small (and all scale-challenged) pianos never sounded better! RCT
     automatically senses and compensates for short scaling in spinets,
     small grands, etc.
Note point 4

Duaine

I hope you read Dale's message. The pitch raise procedure is a very good one, one that will get the piano "in the neighborhood" of where you want it to be, to tune the piano. The pitch raise directions say nothing about it being the end result. So when you tell us that the piano sounds good to you, when we all know that a piano that just suffered through a 300 cents pitch change isn't capable of being in tune, what are we supposed to think about your qualifications as a piano tuner?

Which is what I, and most everyone else on this list, have been tying to tell you. All ETD programs are very good, and they give tremendous results. But the tuning an ETD gives is not supposed to be considered the end result. It is designed to get you there 95% of the way. Now, it's up to each individual how much more accurate they want the piano to be in tune. From what we've read on this list, apparently there are quite a few people who are satisfied with 95% accuracy. But if that's all you're capable of, then that's your choice. And it's also your choice not to want to get any better, either because you don't want to, or are not able to learn.

Wim

On 02/03/2011 02:39 AM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
 On 02/03/2011 01:59 AM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> And let me be sure I understand this right. You tuned a piano that was
> 300 cents low, using your Cyertuner, in one pass, and you said it was
> in tune? Is that right?

 Yes, that is why Dean has patents on some of the pieces of his software.

>From Cybertuner webpage:
    * Pitch raising (and lowering) with RCT is extraordinarily accurate
     and fast.
   * Because it's software, RCT can be easily revised, allowing
     constant innovation. The latest version can be downloaded from the
     Internet.
   * RCT creates super-accurate tunings from low bass to high treble
     because six notes are sampled (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 and A6) at as
     many as four partials three times each for a total of 63 sampled
     partials. All partials are automatically measured and recorded to
     a one-hundredth of a cent!
   * RCT creates aural-quality tunings because it directly matches
     sampled partials - exactly what aural tuners do every day.
   * Small (and all scale-challenged) pianos never sounded better! RCT
     automatically senses and compensates for short scaling in spinets,
     small grands, etc.
Note point 4

-
uaine Hechler