[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Wed Aug 31 21:18:09 MDT 2011

Good discussion about the merits of being a RPT.  I believe that earning a
RPT designation is a plus in this business, and I feel almost naked without
it.

Even though I subscribe to the list, I am not currently a member of PTG.
This is not due to lack of desire but lack of resources.  I am new to the
business (even though I'm 66) and an Honors Graduate of Randy Potter's
school.  I am working very hard to set aside the money required to join PTG,
though I have been graciously invited to the Hampton Roads Chapter meetings
and have developed close friendships with several members.  As soon as I can
gather the required monies, I will join PTG and begin the road to RPT.  I
have already talked at length with the Chapter President and he has agreed
to send for the Technical Test as soon as I'm ready -- hopefully very soon.

To those that see little or no value in moving beyond Associate status I can
only encourage you to earn your RPT and join the ranks of those who have
earned their designation.  I earned professional designations in the IT
industry and they helped immensely while I performed in that field.  A RPT
designation is recognized in this industry as indicative of a person's
commitment, training and devotion to our craft.  With perseverance, I, too,
hope to join you soon.

Thanks for listening.

Tom Rhea
Rhea Piano Service