[pianotech] Feds confiscating musical instrument materials

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 14:03:50 MDT 2011

<<Recently the Gibson Guitar Company was raided by federal agents asserting that the company has been using illegally obtained banned lumber from protected forests. >>

Greetings,
   According to our Nashville paper, the problem with the wood Gibson had was that India's laws require the wood to be finished before leaving the country, ie, whatever manufacturing is to be done with the wood has to be done in India.  So, the Feds were confiscating material that India says should not have been exported in the condition it was in.
   I think this is an idiotic  setting of priorities.  There are far more important things we should be spending enforcement dollars on.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT