[pianotech] Norman Neblett Celebration

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 08:09:48 MDT 2011

Hey David,

Thanks   for checking in about this, particularly since I was wanting to share   something of last Sunday's celebration of Norman Neblett with the list anyway.

We held   forth in the prestigious Colburn School's Thayer Hall.    Many different people spoke, both from texts they had prepared in   advance and extemporaneously, some reading contributions sent in by those who   were not able to be there personally, but took the time to thoughtfully make   their appreciation of Norm known.  Those who spoke included Richard   Davenport and Rick Baldassin (the guys who really made this special event   happen); Kayoko Forrest and David   Kreisberg (former fellow salespeople at the legendary David Abell piano   store); Ryan Robinson (Sound Engineer from Warner Bros.); Kathy Smith and   David Vanderlip; Ed Hilbert, Laroy Edwards, Pamella   Consoli, Ed Whitting, Norm's children Carol and Brad, and his   grandson, Stefan, and me.  People who sent in texts to be read included   Jims Coleman, Sr. & Jr., Steve Kim (Samick), Ben McKlveen, Chris Robinson,   Mark Hullibarger, Jack Brand (of Wurzen felt), Paolo Fazioli, and Lloyd Meyer.    Interspersed amongst the many live spoken-word segments were video clips   of Norm himself (from an interview shot only weeks before his death, by   Richard, Rick and me), and daughter Carol (formerly of the Metropolitan   Opera), singing "Summertime," ably accompanied by Richard's wife, Jeanne, on   the beautiful Kawai concert grand, so well maintained by Colburn's Head Piano   Technician, Kevin Stock (who graciously made the facility available to us).    Ed Whitting also treated us to his pianism.  Neema Pazargad and I documented the proceedings with two video cameras.  Among those in attendance were the chapter presidents of the L. A., Pomona Valley, Orange County and South Bay chapters of PTG in Southern California.

People   do not normally sit riveted for three hours plus, listening to people talk,   but the intensely positive focus of the afternoon created an atmosphere of   group meditation.  I don't recall anyone so much as getting out of their   seat until someone had to leave to catch a flight, two and a half hours into   it (and at that point, we were already an hour beyond our planned ending   time).  It was a fitting tribute to one of the true giants of our field,   and speaking for myself, if not others in attendance, it was a good start   towards comprehending Norm's particular greatness and absorbing our loss of   him.

As I   mentioned in my closing remarks on Sunday, the experience Richard, Rick and I   had videotaping hours of interview with Norm has already served as a template   for others.  We plan to write up what we've learned from the process and make it available, as an   encouragement to   others to honor as many of our deserving senior members   as possible with this kind of video tribute.

Thanks,

Alan   Eder

P. S.   I should soon be getting a copy of a power point segment put together by Rick Baldassin of what we may call "The   Gospel According to Norm."  I will forward it to the list ASAP.