[pianotech] Cleaning the plate

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:31:08 MDT 2011

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dean May
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:25 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Cleaning the plate

Here is a product that is terrific for cleaning almost any hard
surface on pianos. I have submitted it to the TT&T in the Guild
journal.

Use Dow Bathroom cleaner, the "Scrubbing Bubbles" as the ad goes. It
is great for taking off tar and nicotine and whatever else sticks to
surfaces in a house. I use it on keys, plates, and also for smoke/fire
damaged pianos.

For a plate, test a spot for safety. I have not had any problems with
plates. Spray it on and wipe it off in less than half a minute with a
wet rag towel. The brown stuff floats to the top of the bubbles. Avoid
 rubber stamped on serial numbers.
I also use it on soundboards after I have cleaned first with dusters,
etc. It works best to have a grand on its side on a skid. You don't
want to leave it on shellac too long or it will start to soften it. I
spray it on and chase it off either with my metro vac in blower mode
or with my McCullock hand steamer and then the blower. Have a couple
old towels handy to catch the brown stuff that comes off and runs down
to the rim. You will be amazed.

Today, I just delivered a Fischer baby grand  that cats had lived in
for some time. It was a renovation job.  I first removed 1/8 inch of
cat hair and could not see the board decal. After mechanical cleaning
as much as possible I cleaned as stated with scrubbing bubbles. It
came out almost like new. The plate did the same. I thought I would
have to repaint the plate at first. It only required some touching up
after cleaning.  Work quickly on decals too, but it works so fast, it
only requires seconds.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY